With the increased volume of online shopping, it’s important that consumers understand the potential security risks and know how to protect themselves and their information.
Tips to Help You Stay Secure
- Make sure your computer has appropriate security controls (firewalls, anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and the latest security updates).
- Limit your online shopping to merchants you trust.
- Beware of pop-up windows and sudden emails.
- Pay by credit or charge card. (DO NOT USE DEBIT / BANK ACCOUNT CARDS)
- Keep a paper trail.
- Don’t email your financial information.
- Look for the “lock” icon on the browser’s status bar and be sure “https” appears in the website’s address bar before making an online purchase.
- Use strong passwords. Never use the same passwords for online shopping websites that you use for logging on to your home or work computer. Do not share your login information with anyone, ever.